MasterPo says: This blog is about topics and issues that are of importance to me. I am not one of the countless blogging lemmings that are tripping over each other scurrying down the hill and off the cliff of blogging oblivion trying to write the greatest blog on the latest topic de'jour. Your comments are welcome.


August 8, 2008

Tiny Seeds of Management Waiting to Grow (The Peter Principle is Alive and Well)


One of the many things that amazes me in life (which, by still being amazed at these things, helps prove to myself that I haven't gone numb – yet) is the number of people hired or promoted into positions of management – sometimes high management – who are totally clueless! I don't just mean a poor manager. That's bad too. But I mean people who couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag!

There is the concept of the Peter Principle which states that a person rises with in an organization to their level of incompetence. This idea was brought to light and made popular by Dr. Laurence J. Peter and Raymond Hull in their 1968 book "The Peter Principle". The concept is decades old and still as fresh and accurate today as it was then.

I wish I had $1.00 for every time I had to work with a manager or VP who, not only was incompetent, but everyone knows he/she is incompetent! Even the higher-ups. But they were prompted or hired for the job on the basis that quote "over time they will eventually grow into the position" (actual quote from a senior manager about someone he promoted into a position of high management important but wasn't really qualified for).

WTF?!

Fine. They will grow into it. Then I should be promoted to CEO with all the pay and perks thereof. After all, someday I will grow into the job, right?

I wonder if I should use that line of logic with my boss at my next review to get a raise?

Or the next time I make a mistake at work I'll tell the boss not to worry because someday I'll grow into the position.

I'll let you know how it goes.



MasterPo says: If you enjoyed this article make sure to subscribe in a reader (one of the last good free things in life!)

No comments: